Dear MMAJA member,
Thank you for your patience as the interim board worked to establish a process for the inaugural election of MMA Journalist Association officers. We are pleased to report that we are prepared to launch the election cycle. In short, the timeline of the process will be as follows:
- Now – March 21: Nomination submission process begins
- March 22 – April 6: Nominees accept candidacy by submitting candidate statement
- April 11: Election Day
The Election Committee, chaired by Mike Chiappetta of MMAFighting.com, will oversee April’s election. Please find details below, and feel free to contact us with any questions or comments.
Since the formation of the association in August and the first round of member sign-ups, MMAJA boasts 46 active members hailing from a wide variety of media outlets. Additionally, 28 applicants were accepted but have yet to sign the association’s rules and regulations and/or pay their dues. If this is you, please become current and active so you can participate in the coming election. If anyone in your circle would benefit from being included in the association feel free to forward the sign-up page to them.
Joining the Election Committee, the association filled its four standing committees over the last few months.
Chair: Mike Chiappetta
Chair: Josh Gross
Chair: Dave Doyle
Chair: Joe Santoliquito
We seek to make these committees useful tools for the membership. If you have interest in a particular committee, please reach out with questions, comments and requests.
MMAJA 2018 Board of Directors
The inaugural Mixed Martial Arts Journalists Association elections will seat a full Board of Directors, comprised of the following positions:
- Vice President
- Three at-large officers (“Directors”)
The term of office for each officer position shall be two years. Section 5.1 and Section 5.3 of the MMAJA’s Constitution below further detail the duties of the directors and officers.
MMAJA members may nominate themselves or other eligible members for any of the available seats. Each member may nominate up to three individuals for any available seat. Members must submit nominations by end of the day, Wednesday, March 21.
All nominating parties will be known only to the Election Committee and kept anonymous. Nominations will be accepted by email at Elections@MMAJA.com.
Each Officer position shall accept no greater than 10 nominees, with the exception of the at-large officer, which will be capped at 30 nominees for the three available positions.
Nominees can choose to accept their nominations by submitting a brief candidate statement on why they would like the role for which they are nominated. Statements must be submitted by end of day, Wednesday, April 4, in order for the candidate to appear on the official ballot. A failure to submit a candidate statement will disqualify a nominated candidate from being featured on the final ballot. Those nominated can also decline a spot on the ballot by emailing the election committee with their decision. Statements should include experience, the reason for interest in the role and any initiatives the nominee would be interested in pursuing if elected to the MMAJA board. The statements of all nominees will be posted on the MMAJA.com website.
In the event that the threshold of nominees is surpassed for any position, the Election Committee shall make a determination on the 10 finalists, using industry experience, administrative expertise, and other qualifying factors, and those removed from consideration would be informed of vacancies in any other races for their consideration.
Nomination Announcement Process
In order to ensure consideration for all candidates, the nominees will be publicly announced through MMAJA’s media channels after the ballot is finalized through the follow mediums:
- Announcement through a message to members via MMAJA email address before election process begins
- Posting of candidate statements on MMAJA website
- Posting of links from MMAJA Twitter account, and having it re-tweeted by interim board members, committee members, etc. at predetermined times to maximize exposure
The election will take place on Wednesday, April 11. To vote, members must complete the following steps:
- Members must register on MMAJA.com through the signup link. Once completed, each member will have an individual account. The account will be used to give members a single ballot in the election.
- The ballot will go live at 10 am ET/7am PT on the specified election date. Members will be emailed with the link, which will not be visible or linked to from the site. Only members with approved accounts will be able to access it.
- The ballot closes at 10 pm ET/7pm PT and results will be tallied. As adopted in section 5.2 of the MMAJA’s Constitution, a plurality vote of members present and eligible to vote shall be sufficient to elect members of the board. In the event of a tie, balloting will be repeated for the affected position in a run-off, and include only the tied candidates. (For the at-large director positions, a tie will only require a re-balloting if two or more candidates are tied for the final available slot.)
4. After the vote is officially tallied, the results will be posted on MMAJA.com, posted to the association’s social media accounts and delivered through an email to members.
DIRECTORS AND OFFICERS
Section 5.1. The Board of Directors of the Association (the “Board”) shall be comprised of seven members (each, a “Director”) as follows: the President, the Vice President, the Treasurer, the Secretary, and three at-large members. The Board may exercise all powers of the Association and do all acts and things which are proper to be done by the Association which are not by law or by this Constitution directed or required to be exercised or done by its members. The Board shall oversee the Association’s committees and shall select the committee chairpersons. The term of office shall be two years, with such term commencing at the conclusion of the meeting at which such Director is elected. The members of the Board shall be elected at the annual meeting. A majority of the Board shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business, and the action of a majority of the directors, whether in person, via telephone, or by written consent, except as otherwise prohibited by law or set forth in this Constitution shall be the action of the Board. Upon the expiration (but not termination) of the term of the office of President, the outgoing President shall remain a Director as an at-large member for an additional two-year term.
Section 5.3. Duties
A. The President shall preside at all meetings of the Board and of the Association and shall perform such other duties as are required by the Constitution.
B. The Vice President shall perform the duties of the President in the event of absence or disability and shall perform such other duties as are required by the Constitution.
C. The Treasurer shall be the Association’s chief financial officer, registrar of memberships, and executor of credentials, and shall perform such other duties as are required by the Constitution.
D. The Secretary shall be the Association’s recording and correspondence officer and shall perform such other duties as are required by the Constitution.